This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Command Line options?

May 20, 2011 at 6:27 PM

Hi,

I previously mentioned that Sentinel never remembers the log settings so that the user has to enter them every time. I was told one could invoke it with command line options that would set these values. I looked in the Documentation tab of this project and it was empty. I was not able to see any reference to command line options.

So, how do I go about specifying command line parameters for Sentinel?

May 21, 2011 at 3:54 PM

Very simple syntax, as explained on the 0.9.2 release but - as you said, should probably be better documented....

sentinel log4net udp 1234   ---- open a log4net listener on UDP port 1234.

Other options allow replacing log4net with nlog.  When using nlog, you can also change udp to tcp.

This doesn't represent a full session saving replacement, but does allow bypassing the wizard every time you start up.

May 21, 2011 at 4:25 PM

Thanks a lot, this is much simpler than going through the wizard. I don't mind putting the rope around the wizard with these command line options (unless they are saved). A nice feature would be if the user could specify the pattern of the log message and allow the user to then (interactively) map these fields from the log entry into fields/columns displayed by The Sentinel. Then again, I don't know the internals but it has much simplified my debugging of ASP.NET.

Rhanks!

May 22, 2011 at 6:59 PM

Something weird is happening, I changed it to use the command line configuration:

C:\Applications\SentinelLogViewer\Sentinel.exe log4net udp 8025

And now though the annoying wizard has gone to sleep, no log entries are displayed (with filters disabled). Tried the "other" log viewer and could see my log messages being sent.